Finally SHODAN rides again
Subject: General Tech | February 13, 2013 - 01:31 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: gaming, system shock 2, GOG, steam, kick ass
It has been a long drawn out battle but gamers can finally claim a victory as Good Old Games and Steam finally get the rights to distribute System Shock 2, one of the best FPS games ever released. Not only were the mechanics, (can you say leaning?) and the AI but the story and atmosphere were the scariest around at the time and still compete well with similar modern games such as Dead Space. The team at Night Dive has been working hard on stability and option improvements as well as adding in soundtracks, interviews and other historical documents from the games inception. You will be able to pick up the game 16.5 hours from the writing of this post for $10, well worth the investment and much more fun and probably less buggy than Colonial Marines. Check out Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN's interview with the team that has finally been allowed to provide the most requested old game around.
"RPS: You have updated the Night Dive website to read: “System Shock franchise to resurface with GOG/Steam release”. What is your involvement in the release and is the digital version an update, with high-res textures etc, or a straight re-release?
Kick: Night Dive Studios secured the license to distribute the game, and made the initial modifications to allow the game to run on most current operating systems.
Rambourg: There are some user-made mods out there which do phenomenal work on the game’s stability, but none of them were quite perfect, so we took the game to our expert techninjas to analyse and swat the remaining bugs. It was some work to get it done, but as this is a game that we’ve wanted to release for four-plus years, it was also definitely a labour of love."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Hands On: Neverwinter Beta @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Wot I Think – Aliens: Colonial Marines Single Player @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Star Trek To Feature Ship From Star Trek @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Assassin's Creed III: Deluxe Edition @ Benchmark Reviews
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Review @ Techgage
- Dead Space 3 Tested, Benchmarked @ Techspot
- Mojang Releases Minecraft: Pi Edition For the Raspberry Pi @ Slashdot
- Dead Space 3 Xbox 360 @ Tweaktown
- The Cave Review (PSN) @ Kitguru
Get notified when we go live!