Fabulous fablessness? AMD looking to ASMedia for chip R&D?
Subject: General Tech | June 5, 2014 - 02:04 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: amd, asmedia, asus, rumour
DigiTimes spilled a juicy rumour today which has AMD looking to a work even more closely with ASMedia in the future. AMD has already partnered with this ASUS subsidiary to integrate SATA Express into their newest chips as a way to save development costs and ease production issues. This goes along with AMD's fabless strategy that started with the split off of GLOBALFOUNDRIES and has since lead to partnerships with other major fabbers like TSMC. While still very much in the rumour phase and with AMD refusing to comment we are not sure this will indeed occur but it does fit with AMD's current strategy of price reductions and may free up their engineers to work on more specialized designs.
"AMD reportedly is planning to outsource its PC chipset R&D to ASMedia Technology, a subsidiary of Asustek Computer, to save costs and the cooperation is expected to greatly benefit ASMedia's revenue performance, according to sources from the upstream supply chain."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Computex: Asus Memo Pad 8 ME581CL @ The Inquirer
- Fusion IO launches Atomic range of flash storage products @ The Inquirer
- Intel Reveals Open Source Robot Kit and Smart Shirt @ Linux.com
- Two more Eagles land in AMD's bird-of-prey aerie @ The Register
- New OpenSSL Man-in-the-Middle Flaw Affects All Clients @ Slashdot
- New software nasty encrypts Android PHONE files and demands a ransom @ The Register
- How to Build a Custom Arduino Talking Reminder Machine, Part 1 @ Linux.com