FPS games have hit the innovation wall? Not so says John Carmack
Subject: General Tech | July 20, 2011 - 12:54 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: john carmack, gaming
In a recent interview John Carmack seemed quite annoyed by a question implying that the current generation of first person shooters are all carbon copies of each other. He picked one of the favourite targets of game critics, Call of Duty, citing the fact that if people were sick of the game and its general game play that it would not sell the way that it does. He also touched on the cinematic opportunities offered by 3rd person game play; when you watch a movie it is very rare for the director to choose a first person view as that limits their creative choices for effects and environments. Follow the link from Slashdot for more information.
"id Software co-founder John Carmack defended the creativity of first-person shooter games in a recent interview. The legendary programmer, who was a pioneer in the shooter genre with Doom and Quake, said he doesn't like hearing from developers that shooters aren't good because they're not reinventing the wheel. 'I am pretty down on people who take the sort of creative auteurs' perspective. It's like "Oh, we're not being creative." But we're creating value for people — that's our job! It's not to do something that nobody's ever seen before. It's to do something that people love so much they're willing to give us money for... you see some of the indie developers that really take a snooty attitude about this,' he lamented."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Contemporary Graphics Accelerators in F.E.A.R. 3 @ X-bit Labs
- Duke Nukem Forever - 3D and Gameplay PC Review @ eTeknix
- DiRT 3 PC Review @ eTeknix
- Free-to-play MMO Realm of the Mad God a maddening, retro take on Diablo @ Ars Technica
- F.E.A.R. 3 (PC) Review @ HardwareHeaven
- L.A. Noire - PC, Xbox 360, PS3 @ HEXUS
- Wot I Think: New Vegas: Old World Blues @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Take Dictation: Tropico 4 Screenshot Gallery @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- DA2 Expand-O-Pack: Better, Tougher, Morer @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- StarFox 64 3D Nintendo 3DS Hands On Preview @ Tweaktown