EA Shuts Down Several Multiplayer Games on June 30th

Subject: General Tech | May 18, 2014 - 02:29 AM |
Tagged: ea, offline, shutting down

Because of how popular it once was, the GameSpy shutdown will affect numerous titles, many of which have been up and running for over a decade. Several games have fallen back on GamesRanger or Steam to perpetuate support, while others are going to sleep for a very long time. EA claims that, despite trying to come up with a solution, several of their titles will go offline on June 30th.

At least this spy would never stab me in... the back... nevermind.

In the following list, I will omit entries which are not for the PC, Mac, or Linux.

• (PC/Mac) Battlefield 1942, and expansions.
  • (PC) Battlefield 2, and expansions.
  • (PC/Mac) Battlefield 2142, and expansions.
  • (PC) Battlefield Vietnam
  • (PC/Mac) Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, and expansions.
  • (PC/Mac) Command and Conquer: Generals, and expansions.
  • (PC/Mac) Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
  • (PC) Crysis
  • (PC) Crysis 2
  • (PC) Crysis Wars
  • (PC) EA Sports 06
  • (PC) F1 2002
  • (PC) Global Operations
  • (PC) James Bond: Nightfire
  • (PC) Master of Orion III
  • (PC/Mac) Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and expansions.
  • (PC) NASCAR Sim Racing
  • (PC) NASCAR Thunder 2003
  • (PC) NASCAR Thunder 2004
  • (PC) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
  • (PC/Mac/Linux) Neverwinter Nights, and expansions.
  • (PC/Mac) Neverwinter Nights 2
  • (PC) Star Wars: Battlefront
  • (PC) Star Wars: Battlefront 2

It is possible that titles which support directly joining an IP address might, in fact, continue to work. That said, it might not work for every title. At least it is something to try if you and a group of friends wish to get an organized match going.

The part that confuses me, however, is that GameSpy is going offline at the end of the month. Why then does EA, after being unable to find a workable solution, have an extra month of service? You would think that a solution to provide an extra month would work ad-infinitum, unless they have paid for GameSpy's servers to stay open a little longer for their titles. Then again, who am I to complain about an extra month?

Source: EA
May 18, 2014 | 08:31 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

if I could only swear right now there will be plenty of it. I can't believe the crysis games are shutting down there multiplayer. I am NOT happy.

May 18, 2014 | 09:10 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

i can't believe that we reached the point where nobody cares about really owning the game. And for me that also means that i'll have the ability to run and setup dedicated servers on my own.

So sad that nobody seems to care! Thank god there are still some old games like HL2/CSS, UT ...

May 18, 2014 | 02:35 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

(lol) No-one? I think I've written quite a few articles on the topic (and have the flame marks to prove it).

May 18, 2014 | 08:51 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Finally someone who gets it. Some of my fondest memories were walking in to a store and buying the BIG BOX PC games. I still have all the classics (C&C/Red Alert, UT99, Half-Life, etc.). It's nice to have this new medium ala Steam and what not, but I fear the days of us "owning" our games and being able to run our OWN servers 20 years from now so long as someone hacks it for Windows 16, is what made PC gaming great.

As Steam, Amazon, and iTunes have already shown. They can rip the content you paid for off their service at any given moment as well as removing it from your computer. We truly are just renting things nowadays and yet nobody is really screaming about this because we live in a yearly Call of Duty release cycle of games.

May 18, 2014 | 10:03 AM - Posted by Nightowl (not verified)

Who the heck is EA trying to fool, with the Neverwinter Nights games going offline, which are 1&2 going offline. EA doesn't own the rights to Neverwinter Nights 1&2 and never did. Atari owns the rights to Neverwinter Nights 1&2.

May 18, 2014 | 01:59 PM - Posted by Stealthgyro

A few of these won't completely die, some have LAN modes, their master server is being shut down, and we just need communities out there to play games. Quake 2 has been this ways for over a decade and still has a community.

May 18, 2014 | 11:33 PM - Posted by Snoman

It's worth noting that the matchmaking service Gameranger supports over 600 games, including several that are listed in the article. It allows players to host through its interface along with the standard server browser functionality. It also has your requisite friend list and chat. I can't give an opinion on the social functions since I just started using it and have no friends on my list, but I've not had a problem creating a BF1942 server or joining any game.

May 19, 2014 | 01:32 PM - Posted by lukefromcanda

This is a good time for Steam to grab these games and resurrect them. Make them available for multiplayer. I am not too sure about if people will have to buy the games again, that would not be very good though.

May 19, 2014 | 04:04 PM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Well, Steam cannot really "grab" the games. EA would need to offer them on Steam.