E3 2014: Grand Theft Auto V PC Release in the Fall

Subject: General Tech, Shows and Expos | June 9, 2014 - 08:31 PM |
Tagged: E3, E3 14, GTA5, GTA Online

So my best guess is that Rockstar was waiting on the "next-gen" assets before they bothered releasing Grand Theft Auto V on the PC. The game will be released this fall, alongside Xbox One and PlayStation 4 ports. They do not mention distribution platforms, but Steam is a fairly safe assumption, at least now that Games for Windows has been given its final rest.

Hopefully, this delay in releasing a PC version will be a temporary hiccup due to the overlapping console generations. With Grand Theft Auto IV, the same could not be said. The problem is, with how secretive Rockstar is, we cannot really tell whether the above assumption is true, or whether they were just non-committal to the PC platform until now. At either rate, until the PC version is launched, Rockstar has not and will not get my money. Of course, there is always that danger that, by the time the game does launch, I will not be able to afford its time or expense.

That's why you should always release the PC version as early as possible.

June 9, 2014 | 11:02 PM - Posted by biohazard918

I'm calling it now the PC port will be awful.

June 10, 2014 | 01:08 AM - Posted by Martin Trautvetter

I'm glad both PS4 and Xbox One are PC platforms at their hearts, chances are if any of the above platforms get a decent version, all will.

June 10, 2014 | 01:22 AM - Posted by Spunjji

Indeed - the architectures are so similar now that it would take some serious negligence to do a dodgy port. I doubt it'll be well optimised, but it should be superior to the clusterfrack that was GTA IV.

June 16, 2014 | 10:29 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You guys are too optimistic, they are already gutting PC games to match the consoles

June 10, 2014 | 06:41 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

The other ports were fine, why will this one be bad?

June 10, 2014 | 07:23 AM - Posted by CrisisHawk

You and I must have different definitions of the word "fine".
For example GTA IV's PC port was terribly optimised and was infested with games for windows live and social club.
It was one of very few games I couldn't get running at a playable framerate on the PC I had at the time it came out.

June 10, 2014 | 09:57 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

All I remember about GTA4 when it came out on PC is people complaining about how demanding the game is from a CPU perspective. My OC Q6600/GTX 470 didn't struggle to run it then and my 3570K/780 doesn't now.

I never used any of the online features of the game, so I can't comment on the other stuff.

June 11, 2014 | 11:51 AM - Posted by CrisisHawk

The 4670k I have now handles it just fine, But the AMD CPU I was using before was having none of it.

Since the game didn't run well for me at the time, I didn't make much of an effort to get into the multi-player, but I did briefly try and fail to get past the GFWL and Social club hurdles.

June 10, 2014 | 11:23 AM - Posted by Markon101

This makes me glow with happiness! :D