Dell UltraSharp 24": Professional 4K (UltraHD) Monitor

Subject: General Tech, Displays | December 1, 2013 - 11:20 PM |
Tagged: dell, ultrasharp, UP2414Q, 4k

Dell Belize published an overview of the UltraSharp UP2414Q 24" 4K monitor. I must say, 3840x2160 in a 24" display would certainly look make text look "ultra sharp". The rest of the company still does not appear to be acknowledging its existence but I think this is a pretty safe rumor.

One of the selling points of Dell UltraSharp monitors is its color gamut. It is not too difficult to find a monitor with 100% sRGB coverage, but Adobe RGB is quite larger; the UP2414Q claims to be able to reproduce 99% of it. This means that, if properly calibrated, the monitor can reach "further colors" instead of approximating them. Specifically, 100% Adobe RGB is roughly the gamut possible with color printers.

Put into perspective: my Wacom Cintiq 22HD claims 72% coverage of Adobe RGB.

Image Credit: Wikipedia

Not much else is known about this display. It does not have a price. It does not have a release date. It does not even have an official announcement date. They do claim to calibrate the monitors before they leave the factory so that is some other information, I guess. It has four USB 3.0 ports and a 6-in-1 card reader.

But I can imagine the biggest omission for our audience is: there is no official announcement about refresh rates. Ian Cutress down at Anandtech assumes, based on the Dell UltraSharp 32" UP3214Q monitor, it will support 60Hz only using two DisplayPort 1.2a connectors in MST; otherwise, 4K will be limited to 30Hz.

I would be surprised if he is not correct.

Source: Dell Belize
December 2, 2013 | 04:11 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

At 24" it's much more interesting than the 32" ones out there today, but until we get proper 60Hz on a single stream, they're not particularly interesting overall.

December 2, 2013 | 05:24 AM - Posted by orvtrebor

idle size for me (not that I'm ready to drop that kind of cash) 30+ inches is just too damn big for my desk :)

December 2, 2013 | 07:45 AM - Posted by billeman

I'd rather prefer a 40-42" 4K curved display so I can get rid of my three 24" portrait oriented 1200p's (and the bezels)

December 2, 2013 | 10:19 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Will 4K make a difference on such a small screen?
Just wondering if it'll be worth what it will cost really.

December 2, 2013 | 10:21 AM - Posted by BBMan (not verified)

For 3500 bucks, it should be able to do the dishes and toilets too.

December 2, 2013 | 01:48 PM - Posted by Ophelos

How could you forget the most important thing, making coffee.

December 3, 2013 | 07:22 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Rumor has this one around 1400 USD. Would buy it if it could handle proper 60Hz.
As was explained to me previously, the culprit is lack of some timing circuit that can handle the required speeds, that should go into production around now...

December 2, 2013 | 11:10 AM - Posted by Chris Borden

A 16:9 aspect ratio, regardless of the resolution, doesn't seem geared for productivity to me.

There's an argument that the extra vertical space in a 16:10 isn't under 'active use', of course it isn't. That's where the menu bars are. The main event's in the rest of the monitor and having the menus encroaching into it annoys me when I'm trying to work.

December 2, 2013 | 03:08 PM - Posted by icebug

LONG LIVE 16:10!

December 4, 2013 | 08:10 AM - Posted by OctaveanActually (not verified)

There is supposedly a Dell 27" 4K 3840x2160 display coming soon as well for under ~$1000 USD. This probably means ~$999 and if the price proves to be accurate then it may be a lower quality display since its less then the 24" and is IMO more desirable due to the larger size,....but still not too big,....

Something of a goldilocks products (not too hot not too cold but just right),....

December 4, 2013 | 10:38 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Yeah. The Dell 27" will be 4K and under $1000. It, however, will not be in the UltraSharp line. This typically means "16.7 million colors" instead of 1.07 billion, probably much more limited color gamut (barely 100% sRGB, maybe?), etc.

December 5, 2013 | 07:58 PM - Posted by OctaveanActually (not verified)

That makes sense although Dell also has 3440x1440 21:9 ratio monitor coming up too. You have to wonder what price the will ask for that.

What's next, a 3733x1600 monitor,...?

December 9, 2013 | 08:00 AM - Posted by thezfunk

Finally. High density 24" monitor. I have been waiting a freaking decade for this. Now, if it were only 3D and at least 120Hz...I could buy one, use it once and die happy.