Bring that laptop back to life
Subject: General Tech | November 24, 2011 - 08:22 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: DIY, hack
Laptops have a harder life than desktops, not just because they get knocked around while you are on the move, but the plugs see a lot more action as you unplug your peripherals and power to put it in its case and plug them back in when you get to where you are going. As a result broken USB ports can be common but can be worked around, as can bent network pins but what about the power plug? Quite a few people have taken their laptop apart to clean the insides or to upgrade the RAM or other hardware but have you done any soldering inside the case or replaced plastic mounting points? Hack a Day will take you through a simple fix for a broken power plug on a Satellite which will bring your laptop back from the dead. This particular model is fixable because the power plug is not directly attached to the circuit board, a design which might be more brittle than direct attachment but does mean you can make these types of repairs.
This might take a little more ingenuity.
"It seems that there’s a whole range of Toshiba Satellite laptop computers that suffer from a power jack design that is prone to breaking. We see some good and some bad in this. The jack is not mounted to the circuit board, so if it gets jammed into the body like the one above it doesn’t hose the electronics. But what has happened here is the plastic brackets inside the case responsible for keeping the jack in place have failed. You won’t be able to plug in the power adapter unless you figure out a way to fix it."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Blistering chip pumps 1.5 Gbps down wireless channel @ The Register
- Infographic: Get More Out of Google @ TechReviewSource
- Yahoo! Microsoft! merger! back! on! after! NDA! signed! @ The Register
- Asus WL-330N3G 6-IN-1 Wireless-N Travel Router Review @ Tweaknews
- Holiday Gift Guide & Black Friday Deals @ TechReviewSource
- Real World Labs And Jabra Joint Contest
- 2011 Ars Child's Play Drive begins: Signed Ultima! Halo 360 hardware! Aliens-themed Nerf gun!
Get notified when we go live!