Battlefield 4: Levelution Teaser

Subject: General Tech, Shows and Expos | August 23, 2013 - 08:31 PM |
Tagged: battlefield 4, gamescom

Battlefield 4 is still at Gamescom, possibly the last big trade show before launch, and they are still trickling out news. DICE just released their Levelution teaser, which is a cheesy name and I will not pretend to ignore that, but an interesting premise for level design. Keeping in line with the original premise for Battlefield, levels are designed for too many options to fully consider, leading to the characteristic "Battlefield Moments".

A Battlefield Moment is when something amazing, genius, or plain stupid happens in a multiplayer match and draws your attention.

Some popular examples include:

Of course capturing these moments are much more common since Bad Company 2 just due to how common video editing is. Battlefield 2 also had its moments. A personal favorite is when I dropped anti-tank mines, while parachuting, atop a heavy tank. It turns out the time it took to fall was enough for it to arm. I also enjoy proclaiming myself "The Kool-Aid Man" before running someone in my Teamspeak channel down by crashing a jeep through a wall.

DICE wants to show off their engine technology by including many user-triggered events, big and small, to give players options. You can destroy cover, lower doors, and otherwise succeed with out-of-box ideas. Check out the video, above, for more examples.

I am pretty sure the marketing people like showing off video of a skyscraper crumbling, too.

Battlefield 4 will launch October 29th in North America.

August 23, 2013 | 11:00 PM - Posted by snook

EPIC!

August 24, 2013 | 01:00 PM - Posted by mjaybird (not verified)

Never got into battlefield 3 so I will wait and see how this one turns out

August 25, 2013 | 08:25 PM - Posted by duttyfoot (not verified)

these are the little touches that enhances gameplay. good touch dice :)
hopefully bf4 campaign mode will be similar to that of battlefield 2.

August 26, 2013 | 11:38 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

I think you mean Bad Company 2...? Battlefield 2 was multiplayer bots.

By the way: DICE is still intending to make Battlefield: Bad Company 3. They are just a little swamped with Battlefield 4, Mirror's Edge 2, and Star Wars: Battlefront 3.

I also expect EA has more than a few DICE employees on developer support for other studios using the Frostbite 3 engine. Like Epic, they are now an engine house. I doubt they would admit that, publicly, due to how gamers would respond to the company having manpower that's not making games. Necessary, though.

August 26, 2013 | 06:28 PM - Posted by chondro