Android is number one in China ... at getting an infection
Subject: General Tech | April 15, 2011 - 11:56 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Virus, Malware, China, Android
"Android handsets used in China accounted for 64.1% of global virus/malware attacks in the first quarter of 2011, according to China-based mobile security solutions provider NetQin Mobile.
There were 2.53 million Android handsets infected by viruses or malware around the world during the first quarter, and most were in China due to the popularity of white-box Android handsets in the country, NetQin indicated. US ranked second with 7.6%, followed by Russia with 6.1%, India with 3.4%, Indonesia with 3.2%, Hong Kong with 2.7% and UK with 2.1%. In the first quarter, there were 1,014 new malware items and 101 new viruses, NetQin said.
Of the infected Android handsets globally, 57% were through downloading applications from Android Market, followed by using unbranded handsets with 17%, downloading applications from WAP or www. websites with 14%, using Bluetooth with 7% and using memory cards with 3%, it said.
A breakdown of the attacks by Android version shows that 1.6 and previous versions accounted for 5%, 2.1 34%, 2.2 45% and 2.3 16%."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- WebOS 3.0 Beta Leaked -- Looks Good, Interesting @ Linux.com
- Windows Home Server 2011 review @ The Inquirer
- Watch Windows 8's new Metro login while this creepy guy watches you @ Engadget
- Samsung SuperSpeed drives out next month @ The Register
- Hypertext Creator: Structure of the Web 'Completely Wrong' @ Slashdot
- High-Quality Open Source Body Tracking Sans Kinect @ Make:Blog
- Google squashes Chrome security bugs, updates Flash Player @ The Inquirer
- TRENDnet TV- IP612WN ProView Wireless N Pan/Tilt/Zoom Internet Camera Review @ Madshrimps
- Open-sourced blueprints for civilization @ Make:Blog
- Teaching an old PSU new tricks @ The Tech Report
- Hardware and Games at Gadget Show 2011 - XSR
- Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 Giveaway at Asetek.com/Twitter
- OC3D & Aria @ Gadget Show Live Part 2
Get notified when we go live!