AMD cards get an unexpected boost from the Linux 3.12 kernel
Subject: General Tech | October 15, 2013 - 01:30 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: amd, linux, catalyst, 3.12 kernel
Phoronix had a very pleasant surprise over the weekend which was apparently also a complete surprise to the AMD Linux driver team; vastly improved GPU performance on the 3.12 kernel. In tests on a dozen cards ranging from the elderly HD3850 to the HD6950 all cards showed at least some improvements and in some cases increases of 50%. Keep your eyes tuned for updates as they work with AMD's Linux team to see where these performance increases originated from and to give Phoronix time to get their hands on new hardware for more testing. Check out the complete review here.
"Over the weekend I released benchmarks showing the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing big AMD Radeon performance improvements. Those benchmarks of a Radeon HD 4000 series GPU showed the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing major performance improvements over Linux 3.11 and prior. Some games improved with just low double-digit gains while other Linux games were nearly 90% faster! Interestingly, the AMD Radeon Linux developers were even surprised by these findings. After carrying out additional tests throughout the weekend, I can confirm these truly incredible performance improvements on other hardware. In this article are results from ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Imagination eyes Intel and ARM with Warrior P5600 CPU based on MIPS architecture @ The Inquirer
- Best Buy: Bring us your cowering, unwanted Microsoft Surface masses @ The Register
- Blackberry desperately reassures customers in an open letter @ The Inquirer
- Windows 8.1: Six Things Microsoft Got Right and Others That Are Still Missing @ TechSpot
- MS Word deserves DEATH says Brit SciFi author Charles Stross @ The Register
- Toshiba Set To Change SSD Landscape with Upper Tier SSDs at Rock Bottom Pricing @ SSD Review
- Devolo dLAN LiveCam Starter Kit @ NikKTech
- Control panel backdoor found in D-Link home routers @ The Register
- Ooma Office: VoIP Small Office Phone System Review @ TechwareLabs
- iPad 5 release date, rumours, price and features @ The Inquirer
- L-Com Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switches @ TechwareLabs
- October 2013 Rumours @ Western Digital @ TechARP
Get notified when we go live!