Support PC Perspective with Amazon Affiliate Codes!

Subject: Editorial | November 25, 2013 - 02:05 PM |
Tagged: pcper, amazon

UPDATE: With biggest buying season of them all creeping up on this week here in the US, I just thought I would offer up another reminder about those readers that would like to support PC Perspective while they happen to be shopping on Amazon.com.  You can either install one of the quick and easy extensions listed below or, if you would rather take the passive approach, click the link below and shop away!

Recently a couple of PC Perspective fans have asked about an Amazon Affiliate code they could use for their normal Amazon purchases to help support the team here.  Previously, we rarely used one of these codes so I setup a new one specifically for our use.  As it turns out the small commission we receive for Amazon purchases is quite a bit LARGER than any commission we get for our various links to Newegg.com for example.

Our Amazon code is: pcper04-20

The easiest way to integrate it into your shopping, rather than remembering to add it to your URL each time, is to use a couple of plugins for Chrome or FireFox.  For Chrome, the plugin is called Amazon Affiliate Link and is super easy to install.

Install the plugin.

Right click the new icon in the upper right corner.

Set the affiliate IDs to pcper04-20

For FireFox, the plugin is called AffiliateFox

Add the plugin to FireFox.

Click the okay to install it.

Go to your Add-on settings and add pcper04-20 as each code.

That's it, you're done and you're supporting PC Perspective!  We thank you tremendously for it and promise to do our best to continue to bring you the best possible content!!

November 5, 2013 | 03:01 AM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

420 in dis... just kidding.

Sadly it doesn't work for me, the affiliate code. I'm based in Denmark, and use the Amazon.co.uk site, but i get an error when try to submit it.

November 5, 2013 | 03:08 AM - Posted by Daniel Nielsen (not verified)

Tried the German Amazon, doesn't work there either. So maybe i'm just not able do use it, because my IP is based in Denmark. Kind of annoying when i often use Amazon to order stuff.

November 5, 2013 | 10:10 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Well, thanks for trying!

November 5, 2013 | 11:42 AM - Posted by Ethaniel (not verified)

Would going directly using this link work?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=pcper04-20

November 5, 2013 | 02:58 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

That is supposed to work, yup!

November 5, 2013 | 05:12 AM - Posted by hoxlund

installed plugin and changed my UK and US amazon to pcper04-20

all is right with the world. and man being stationed overseas, I buy a LOT of stuff with amazon.com and .co.uk

November 5, 2013 | 10:10 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Awesome, thanks!

November 5, 2013 | 11:12 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Any idea how this works if have previously visited another site which uses their own affiliate link?

November 5, 2013 | 11:42 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

No idea actually.

November 5, 2013 | 12:07 PM - Posted by rifsha (not verified)

I almost always buy from my phone or tablet with the Amazon app. Any way to incorporate the affiliate id through the app? Android BTW.

November 5, 2013 | 01:11 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Interesting question, I'll look into it...

November 5, 2013 | 01:17 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

I would think if you click through the links on pcper.com, and it opens the Amazon app, then you can browse to anything else from there.

November 5, 2013 | 12:38 PM - Posted by derz

installed plugin, I get lots more value from this site than I ever did from tv.

November 5, 2013 | 01:16 PM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Thanks!!

November 5, 2013 | 03:33 PM - Posted by Tim Verry

Thank you for your continued support everyone!

November 5, 2013 | 06:51 PM - Posted by rodgersk24

I buy a ton of stuff off Amazon, so I'll get this set up when I get home! Any other affiliate links I can use to help you guys out?

November 6, 2013 | 09:19 AM - Posted by hosko (not verified)

I'm just about to build a HTPC/file server. Already purchased an i5-4670K, Asus Z87I-Deluxe and a Corsair H90. I've installed the plugin so when I make the next round of purchases they should all work with the code. Do I need to re-add items to my cart?

I still need to purchase a Seasonic 520 Power Supply SS-520FL, Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB, 4 x Western Digital 4 TB Reds and a Fractal Design Node 304 case.

I'm thinking MSI R9 280X GFX card will be the winner for the system, trying to get it as silent as possible.

Anyway I should move this to the forum, I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work. Love listening to TWICH here on a saturday morning, makes the drive the work bearable. The least I could do is use the affiliate code.

November 6, 2013 | 11:32 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

You might have to re-add them to your cart, I'm not sure.   But we appreciate the support, thank you!!

November 6, 2013 | 10:54 AM - Posted by razor512

Tested the plugin out, it doesn't cause any noticeable change in browser performance, so overall, it is pretty good, added it, hopes it contues to work well.

PS does anyone know if these codes still work if you purchase something using an amazon gift certificate?

November 6, 2013 | 11:33 AM - Posted by Ryan Shrout

Glad it's worked out!

Not sure on the gift card question though...?

November 25, 2013 | 02:32 PM - Posted by Robert

Does this count for everything Amazon sells or just tech/PC hardware stuff? Hoping it's everything.

November 25, 2013 | 03:25 PM - Posted by dreamer77dd

I believe it works for all of what is on Amazon.

I am happy to have an easy way to be able to support my favorite site PC perspective. I hope their will be even more ways in the future to support PC Perspective website that I get so much from.

November 26, 2013 | 07:22 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Installed the extension and put in the code. I do most of my shopping on amazon, so i hope it helps.

Your site is great, your articles are brilliant, and your comment system lets me comment with a jonny-on-the-spot gibberish email address with no registration or login required.

I would install the extension for any one of those reasons alone, but all three?? You spoil me. Thanks for everything.

January 7, 2014 | 11:41 PM - Posted by Paul Braren (not verified)

As a fellow blogger, it's sure was a relief that many states, like Connecticut, worked things out with Amazon this year, to allow affiliates in, at the cost of now paying sales tax.

By the way, I have a video up of the short and simple process for installing and configuring the Chrome extension over here:
but today, realized they've removed it from the chrome web store:
hmmm..

Another thing I see a lot of bloggers do is an easy to type redirect from /amazon to their affiliate link, such as:
becomes

Great site Ryan, and wonderful podcasts that I enjoy regularly, while blogging and snowblowing of course!

March 13, 2014 | 11:07 AM - Posted by Bee (not verified)

Thanks for the code - use Amazon quite a bit and if you benefit from it, so much the better.