Intel is not slowing down, exclamation exclamation. Haswell-E for Holiday 2014 question mark.

Subject: Editorial, General Tech, Processors | June 15, 2013 - 07:02 PM |
Tagged: Intel, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E

In my analysis of the recent Intel Computex keynote, I noted that the displayed confidence came across more as repressing self-doubt. It did not seem, to me, like Intel wants to abandon the high-end enthusiast but rather catch up with their low performance and high efficiency competitors; they just know they are secure in that market. Of course, we could see mid-range choices dwindle and prices stagnate, but I cast doubt that Intel wants to exit the enthusiast market despite their silence about Ivy Bridge-E.

All Images, Credit: VR-Zone

And Intel, now, wants to return some confidence to their high-end consumers comma they are not slowing down exclamation point exclamation point.

VR-Zone, the site which published Ivy Bridge-E's lazy release roadmap, are also the ones to suggest Haswell-E will come before mainstream Broadwell offerings. Once again, all is right with the world. Slated for release around holiday 2014, just a year after Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E will come alongside the X99 chipset. Instead of Broadwell, the back to school window of 2014 will by filled by a refresh of 22nm Haswell products with a new 9-series chipset.

Seriously, it's like watching the face of Intel's Tick-Tock while a repairman is tweaking the gears.

In terms of specifications, Haswell-E will come in 8 and 6-core offerings with up to 20MB of cache. Apart from the inclusion of DDR4 support, the main advantage of Haswell-E over the upcoming Ivy Bridge-E is supposed to be raw performance; VR-Zone estimates up to 33-50% better computational strength. A depressingly novel area of improvement as of recent...

Lastly, with recent discussion of the awkwardly hobbled K-series parts, our readers might be happy to know that all Haswell-E parts will be unlocked to overclocking. This, again, leads me to believe that Intel is not hoping to suffocate the enthusiast market but rather sort their users: mid-range consumers will take what they are given and, if they object, send them on the bus to Funk-E town.

Note, while the headlining slide definitively says "All Processors Unlocked"...

... this slide says "For K and Extreme series products." I will assume the latter is out of date?

Which begs the question: what does our readers think about that potential strategy? It could lead to mainstream performance products being pushed down into BGA-territory, but cements the existence of an enthusiast platform.

Source: VR-Zone
June 15, 2013 | 10:06 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

8 Cores can't come soon enough!

June 15, 2013 | 10:10 PM - Posted by sixstringrick

What's with the 2011-3 socket? Is it going to be a brand new socket/chipset/motherboard, or will it be like AMD's AM3+ which holds AM3 and AM3+?

June 16, 2013 | 03:08 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Frankly, this is the first I heard about it (albeit I'm out of the loop about it, much more than my job would suggest).

June 16, 2013 | 03:35 AM - Posted by Klimax (not verified)

New thing. Due to DDR4 and other platform level changes.

June 15, 2013 | 10:57 PM - Posted by oldsnell (not verified)

Did Intel have this CPU already and sitting on it? Till AMD released there CPU pushed them to release it? Should we thank AMD?

June 16, 2013 | 03:37 AM - Posted by Klimax (not verified)

Likely already in pipeline. (Most likely they are by now already manufacturing them)

October 24, 2014 | 02:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

this stuff is going to go back and forth , these companies do this on purpose just so people will buy the next big thing lol AMD will come out with something to be with the DDR4 and new CPU . I just put out 5 grand for my pc + monitors I run 3 + duel r9 290x`s , a haswell - E cpu and a x99 mobo with ddr4 sounds pretty dam good for upgrade

October 24, 2014 | 02:40 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

June 16, 2013 | 01:47 AM - Posted by tabuburn (not verified)

I'm seeing only 3x8 Gen 3 pcie lane support compared to IBE's 4x8.

June 16, 2013 | 03:10 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

Another ambiguity between their slides... did not notice this one while I was writing it up though. Thanks for the catch.

June 17, 2013 | 05:07 AM - Posted by tabuburn (not verified)

I'm also curious about IBE only having either 6 or 4 cores. The new Mac Pro has a 12 core Intel CPU so it should be a Xeon-based IBE.

June 16, 2013 | 01:55 AM - Posted by pdjblum

Just as nvidia is doing, intel is fucking enthusiasts up the ass to make up for dwindling pc sales. Both aim to get much bigger profit margins on the products they sell to hardcare enthusiasts. Too bad we let them. I would love to buy a 780, but I will not pay the exorbitant price of entry. If only we all stood up to this crap, they would not get away with it. Don't worry, they will still make plenty of money if they sold it at a reasonable price.

BTW, tell Morry that he does not have to apologize to intel for telling us to turn off sleep states rather than have to buy new power supplies to support Haswell. We cherish pcper for providing us with this sort helpful insight and information.

June 16, 2013 | 03:07 AM - Posted by Scott Michaud

I notified him by our internal message system.

Thanks for the compliments!

June 16, 2013 | 03:47 AM - Posted by imadman

I concur. It's those things we want to hear... What difference is it going to make on the desktop anyway? Intel can suck it morry!

June 16, 2013 | 07:05 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I thought the new Haswell CPU's are on the LGA 1150 socket, and not the 1155 socket as per the "generational processor comparison" chart.

June 16, 2013 | 11:00 AM - Posted by DaVolfman (not verified)

Really this is a dumb idea as far as the gaming market is concerned. The "high end gaming" systems still have an unfortunate amount of Sandy Bridge E parts in them with more cores, higher TDP, but lower gaming performance than the Ivy Bridge or Haswell parts. Intel is essentially leaving money on the table, forcing customers who'd like to pay for a bragging rights system to pay less for more performance. Market segmentation stops working when the segments start to overlap so much. Just ask the car companies and their many sub-brands of similar cars.

June 16, 2013 | 03:49 PM - Posted by OctaveanActually (not verified)

I don't get what the problem is,.....

Sandy Bridge-E released back in ~2011 for its given price point which was similar to Bloomfield pricing before that and likely will be very similar in pricing with Ivy Bridge-E. I don't expect Haswell-E to have a vastly different pricing scheme either.

How then is Intel ripping off its customer base or other colorful ways of putting it?

June 16, 2013 | 04:11 PM - Posted by pdjblum

They are turning off features, extensions, on the k cpu's. If you want an unlocked cpu with all the extensions enabled, you have to get the much more expensive e cpu's. I know I can be colorful.

June 16, 2013 | 07:11 PM - Posted by OctaveanActually (not verified)

I don't get what the problem is,.....

June 17, 2013 | 05:17 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Go Intel !

June 17, 2013 | 05:22 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

"Integrated GPU NO" sold me...and the increase in ports.
Time to upgrade my Q9550 running at 3.4GHZ and P45 Eaglelake DDR2 1600MHZ LOL

June 17, 2013 | 05:25 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Allswell that Wellsburg.

June 29, 2013 | 11:21 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

You can type an upside down exclamation point by
-1. Holding down the ALT key
-2. Typing the numbers 173

You can learn how to make other symbols here:
Spanish Accent Marks

November 12, 2013 | 07:56 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

So, why would Haswell-E have only 3 Gen 3 PCIE, and not 4 like SBE? WTH?

November 26, 2013 | 10:58 AM - Posted by blackbirdtg (not verified)

sadly they did not increase PCI 3.0 bus number ... loved to have 3*16 lanes .....
the I had the FULL power and speed of 4SLI
maxed out at 4*8 lines for even 3*16 (3sli)is not possible , stil sad ....

befor you WTH, why do you need that, if you go for resolution of 6780*1600,you need i( i think),
I wonder what if you had 4*16 PCI 3.0 to work with .....

I tried 2 CPU sockets boards like EVGA and ASUS, no luck there
EVGA board ALL pci3.0 busses went to one Socket
ASSU board pci busse was divided on the 2 sockets , so I got FULL 16*4 PCI 3.0 speed .... but NVIDIA driver could not handle the setup only 2SLI was possible
strange

just my opintion
loved to have 4-16 PCI lines on one Socket, but this will be a dream for now ... :-(

greetz
Blackbirdtg

December 4, 2013 | 05:15 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

There is no way to get 3 x x16 lanes on any motherboard, its just not possible, simple math, 3 x 16 = 48, no mobo right now will give you over 40 pci lanes, sure they will say with NF you will get full speeds but thats not really true, at the end of the day you are limited to how many lanes the mobo offers, and best you can do right now is 40, which is why you get 2 x (X16) or 4 x (x8).

Both SB and IV and Haswell all have total of 40 pci lanes.

January 2, 2014 | 09:49 AM - Posted by Hikari (not verified)

Very good article! I just discovered pcper.com and I'm loving the black humor you use to color your great info content.

Indeed, i7 s1150 CPUs are getting less love from Intel, it's inacceptable that they disable extentions in their K CPUs.

They are forcing us to use non-K i5 or move to s2011 -E. If Intel wanna do that, they should just drop s1150 i7 whatsoever for good.

I have a SandyBridge 2600K and I gave up on Haswell, including its Refresh trash. If Broadwell i5 brings something good I might upgrade to it maybe, or then my PC will have to live until 2018-Skylake.

... but I'm afraid Skylake will focus on i5 and i7 CPUs for smartphone and let PC users to wait till... at least... 2022¡¡¡