Corsair Quantifies the Benefits of Overclocking

Subject: Editorial, General Tech, Graphics Cards, Processors, Memory, Systems | January 20, 2014 - 02:40 AM |
Tagged: corsair, overclocking

I rarely overclock anything and this is for three main reasons. The first is that I have had an unreasonably bad time with computer parts failing on their own. I did not want to tempt fate. The second was that I focused on optimizing the operating system and its running services. This was mostly important during the Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows Vista eras. The third is that I did not find overclocking valuable enough for the performance you regained.

A game that is too hefty to run is probably not an overclock away from working.

Thankfully this never took off...

Today, overclocking is easier and safer than ever with parts that basically do it automatically and back off, on their own, if thermals are too aggressive. Several components are also much less locked down than they have been. (Has anyone, to this day, hacked the locked Barton cores?) It should not be too hard to find a SKU which encourages the enthusiast to tweak some knobs.

But how much of an increase will you see? Corsair has been blogging about using their components (along with an Intel processor, Gigabyte motherboard, and eVGA graphics card because they obviously do not make those) to overclock. The cool part is they break down performance gains in terms of raising the frequencies for just the CPU, just the GPU, just the RAM, or all of the above together. This breakdown shows how each of the three categories contribute to the whole. While none of the overclocks are dramatic, Corsair is probably proud of the 5% jump in Cinebench OpenGL performance just by overclocking the RAM from 1600 MHz to 1866 MHz without touching the CPU or GPU.

It is definitely worth a look.

Source: Corsair
January 20, 2014 | 04:38 AM - Posted by capawesome9870

is there any way of determining the amount of bandwidth the CPU memory is using?

i am just curious

i have task manager for the CPU load, MSI afterburner for the GPU load, but nothing to see how much the CPU memory bandwith is being used.

January 20, 2014 | 03:59 PM - Posted by razor512

I don't think so, for some reason, no one seems to make anything to monitor system memory throughput.

Even for GPU,s it only goes as far as monitoring the memory controller load (but not much in the way of monitoring throughput, in terms of the max throughput the memory chips can handle.

January 20, 2014 | 10:18 AM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

I call BS on this... My 7850 can't max newer games at 860mhz core, but once i increased its voltages and improved cooling i oced the core to 1210mhz... Hello 7950 performance

January 20, 2014 | 10:56 AM - Posted by simieon (not verified)

a 40% overclock, you won the chip lottery dude. thats higher than the highest stock cooled 7850 on hwbot. go get on some record charts!

January 20, 2014 | 07:49 PM - Posted by Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks mate, the card is a marvel. But as i was saying overclocking CAN reap you great benefits. This is at 1.215V
www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/3bc7x/

January 21, 2014 | 11:04 AM - Posted by johnny rook (not verified)

Yeah!
As far as GPU overclocking benefices are concerned, lets just say that in Fire Strike benchmark my GTX 780 @ 1202Mhz beats a stock GTX 780Ti, which costs $150 more...

January 20, 2014 | 05:41 PM - Posted by ApeXiTT (not verified)

I've been overclocking for 14 yrs & never had hardware failure.. yes there is ALOT of gain in overclocking. You just don't know what you are doing.

January 21, 2014 | 10:58 AM - Posted by johnny rook (not verified)

Of course overclocking has big benefices.
Why do you think I'm still using a Core i7 920 in my gaming machine?
In game and at 4.2GHz, it drives a GTX 780 as well as a 4th gen Core i7 4770k.

Even in 3D Mark's "Physics" benchmarks, a 920 @ 4.515GHz scores ~11k, which is not bad, comparing to the 4770k at stock clocks, scoring ~12.5k.

And yeah, I've been overclocking CPUs - and I mean, "seriously" overclocking -, since the AMD Athlon XP without a single failure. All the CPU wants is juice and good cooling!

January 21, 2014 | 11:29 AM - Posted by Patrick3D (not verified)

I used to overclock back in the days when everything was done with jumpers, nowadays the only thing I do is load the memory profile that RAM comes with to ensure it is running at the rated speed (otherwise it just runs at 1600Mhz or worse), everything else I leave on Auto.

January 21, 2014 | 04:35 PM - Posted by Bill.amd (not verified)

Actually I did hacked AMD barton cpus. I have one 2600+ running at 22*100 on a VIA KT133A motherboard. I used the mobile hack and I unveiled the hidden pins in order to do that.

September 2, 2014 | 03:24 PM - Posted by personal injury attorney denver (not verified)

After looking at a handful of the blog posts on your blog, I truly appreciate your way of writing a blog.
I added it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future.

Please check out my website too and tell me how you feel.

Have a look at my weblog personal injury attorney denver