Are you still lapping your heatsinks?
Subject: Cases and Cooling | November 4, 2013 - 04:14 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: lapping, heatsink, DIY
Back in the ancient past of aircooling, when heatsinks did not weigh a kilogram and 120mm fans were a novelty item and not the standard many enthusiasts practiced the art of lapping. With a water tray and automotive grade sandpaper of increasingly fine grit you could not only flatten the base of the heatsink, something that was all too necessary for some models, you could also acheive a mirror finish which helped your heat paste spread evenly. Today you do not hear much talk of lapping either heatsinks nor the integrated heatspreader on CPUs and SPCR decided to test if it remains a good practice. Check out the difference a proper lapping job still makes, though keep in mind lapping the IHS on your CPU will void the warranty and could weaken its structure.
Not what you want to see!
"Lapping the CPU in a heatsink test platform is probably a controversial move that's bound to provoke reactions. Funny thing is, it was done a year ago, and photos of the CPU showing the copper top exposed by the lapping have been featured in many of our reviews. Yet, not a single comment. This article goes through the problems, investigations and explorations that led us to lap our Core i7-965 Extreme test CPU, and analyzes the results and implications."
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Thermaltake Frio Extreme CPU Cooler @ NikKTech
- Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin @ techPowerUp
- GELID Solutions The Black Edition @ LanOC Reviews
- Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler Review @ Legit Reviews
- Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 @ Kitguru
- Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TopFlow @ LanOC Reviews
- Noctua NH-U14S Review @ HCW
- Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 @ LanOC Reviews
- Cooler Master Glacer 240L Liquid CPU Cooler Review @HiTech Legion
- SilverStone Tundra TD02 All-in-one (AiO) CPU Cooling System Review @ Pro-Clockers
- Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler @ NikKTech
- SilverStone Tundra SST-TD02 All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler @ Benchmark Reviews
- Corsair H100i Self-Contained Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ Techgage
- Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Case and Radiator Fan Review @HiTech Legion
- Cooler Master JetFlo 120 PWM Fan @ LanOC Reviews
- Cooler Master JetFlo Series Fans Revieww @ Modders-Inc
- Cooler Master N600 Chassis @ Funky Kit
- Cooler Master Cosmos SE Mid-Tower Chassis @ eTeknix
- NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Case Review @HiTech Legion
- Aerocool Dead Silence Orange Chassis @ Funky Kit
- Cooler Master HAF Stacker Mod-Tower Case Review @ Neoseeker
- Cooler Master 690 III Mid-Tower Case with Seidon 120V Cooler Review @HiTech Legion
- NZXT H230 Computer Case Review @ Modders-Inc
- In Win GRone @ techPowerUp
- Aerocool DS Dead Silence Cube Chassis @ eTeknix
- Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Mid-Tower Case Review @HiTech Legion
- Lian Li PC-Q30 Aluminium Mini ITX @ eTeknix
- Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 Computer Case @ Benchmark Reviews
- BitFenix Ronin Mid-Tower Case Review @ Legit Reviews
- Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2 Chassis Review @MissingRemote
Get notified when we go live!