7 way PSU showdown; 550-600W weight class
Subject: Cases and Cooling | June 24, 2013 - 10:40 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: TR2, thermaltake, seasonic, PowerX, in win, GS600, G Series, Dark Power Pro 10, CX600M, Cougar, corsair, Commander III, be quiet!
There is a roundup over at Legit Reviews, with seven 550-600W PSUs of which only two models will cost you more than $100. They are a mix of 80 PLUS Bronze and Gold, some are partially modular others non-modular and of course, they offer differing power quality and acoustic performance. In this case the most expensive PSU also came out as the winner, but pay attention to the PSU in second place which costs half as much as the Dark Power Pro 10.
"It is natural for an enthusiast to be dazzled by monsters such as the Corsair AX1200i and the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1500W; however, even the majority of the enthusiasts would not actually purchase such a beast. It is (or should be) common knowledge that even a very good gaming system does not demand more than 300W-350W and thus, as power supplies are being designed to optimally perform at about 50% capacity, 550W-600W units are plenty for the vast majority of gamers and common users. It is only with multiple video cards, large raid arrays and other “specialized” designs that power requirements may increase substantially. Knowing that and realizing the need to offer our readers insight on products which truly are of interest to them, today we bring you a roundup review of seven quality 550W-600W power supplies..."
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Antec VP550F 550 W @ techPowerUp
- bequiet! Pure Power L8 400W @ Kitguru
- Antec HCG-750M 750W Power Supply Unit @ NikKTech
- Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000 W @ techPowerUp
- Enermax Triathlor FC 700W Power Supply Unit @ NikKTech
- OCZ Power Supply Roundup @ Kitguru
- Cooler Master V-series 1000W @ Hardware.info
- Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750M PSU Review @ Hi Tech Legion
- The big Haswell PSU compatibility list @ The Tech Report
- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Update