Subject: General Tech | May 18, 2011 - 12:13 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: gaming, x-com, mod
It has been a first person shooter, a flight simulator and a turn based strategy game in a world where even a glass window is utterly impervious to nuclear weapons, but never has X-COM UFO Defense been properly remade or reimagined. It looks like an indy company will beat everyone else to it with their soon to enter beta testing Xenonauts, which keeps the style of the original, admittedly aged game, and more importantly includes destrucatable terrain! No word yet on if you can fund your extermination efforts by selling equipment you made from alien tech to world governments but there is a lot of info on the game over at Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN.
"It’s been a bit all-quiet for the Cold War-set X-COM reimagining Xenonauts for the last few months, but creators Goldhawk have finally broken cover to show how the major element – the ground combat – looks in action. The answer, you may not be terribly surprised to hear is “quite a bit like X-COM”, but clearly that’s exactly what we want. Higher res and detail is a fine thing, but it’s especially pleasing to see that destructible scenery, something so bafflingly absent from many of the commercial X-COM remakes, is present and correct."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Brink GPU & CPU Performance Test @ TechSpot
- Capsized: a beautiful 2D side-scroller for the FPS crowd @ Ars Technica
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution preview: fighting the past @ Ars Technica/A>
- Take Your Pick: Terraria Released @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Rememdy sets its sights on New Alan Wake game @ HEXUS
- Gaming Friday: TrackMania Nations Forever @ ThinkComputers
- PES 2012 - Xbox 360, PS3, PC @ HEXUS
- Operation Flashpoint: Red River - PC, Xbox 360, PS3 @ HEXUS
- Crysis 2 Retaliation DLC Revealed @ Crysis
- Virtua Tennis 4 PlayStation 3 @ Tweaktown
- XBOX 360 vs Playstation 3: Part Four @ hardCOREware
Get notified when we go live!