Subject: Cases and Cooling | August 11, 2014 - 05:23 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: SST-NJ520, SilverStone Tech, Nightjar, Fanless Power Supply, 80 Plus Platinum
Just over a month ago Lee took a look at Silverstone's Fanless Nightjar PSU, giving it a Gold Award. It has now arrived in [H]ard|OCP's torture chamber so you can see how well it works with a different system. At the lowest load level of 25% of max the efficiency was a mere 89.79% but at 50%, 75% and 100% loads it stayed well above 90% and the temperature difference was 9C between the lowest load and the highest, impressive for a fanless PSU. In the end not only was this the best fanless 500W PSU [H] has tested, it was the overall best 500W PSU they've seen, justifying the high asking price.
"What is more quiet than a computer power supply with a fan? You guessed it, a PSU with no fan. This unit has small footprint builds in mind featuring excellent Platinum efficiency, flexible flat cables, and of course no sound profile to speak of. Does the 520 watt rated SilverStone Nightjar hold up when we put it in the incubator?"
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- PSU deathmatch: Cooler Master V750 vs. Rosewill Capstone-750-M @ The Tech Report
- EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 W @ techPowerUp
- Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W Modular @ eTeknix
- Cooler Master V750 Semi-Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- Be Quiet! Power Zone 750 Watt Power Supply Review @HiTech Legion
- Cooler Master V750 Semi-Modular 750 W @ techPowerUp
- Seasonic SS-760XP2 760W Power Supply Review @ NikKTech
- Seasonic Platinum Series 660W Modular @ eTeknix
Introduction and Features
SilverStone was one of the first PC power supply manufacturers to design and market a fanless power supply for silent operation. While many of their competitor’s fanless products have come and gone, SilverStone continues to build on their reputation and recently added the SST-NJ520 520W fanless power supply to the Nightjar Series, which currently includes three models: NJ520, ST50NF, and ST40NF. The Nightjar 520W PSU incorporates premium quality components and a state of the art design to deliver high efficiency (80 Plus Platinum certified), tight voltage regulation (±2%), and clean DC outputs. The new NJ520 fanless power supply comes with fully modular, flat ribbon-style cables that provide 4+4 pin ATX12V/EPS and 6+2 pin PCI-E connector support.
Here is what SilverStone has to say about their new fanless 520W PSU: “SilverStone’s Nightjar NJ520 is a fanless power supply that offers a whole new experience of quietness and stability. Its premium components and engineering helped it achieve 80 Plus Platinum level of efficiency, reducing wasted heat and enabling reliable operation without a fan. This noiseless performance can be maintained with stringent electrical characteristics even in 40°C operating environments.
As a versatile power supply, the NJ520 has a powerful +12V output of 43A for high-end system usage and its flexible, flat modular cables make assembly easy for improved case airflow. For professionals looking to build PCs or workstations for specialized settings such as recording studios or sound-optimized laboratories, the Nightjar series PSUs with their consistent emphasis on quality, stability, and reliability, are sure to satisfy.”
SilverStone Nightjar NJ520 Power Supply Key Features:
• Fanless thermal solution, 0 dBA acoustics
• High efficiency with 80 Plus Platinum certification
• 100% Modular cables
• Strict ±2% voltage regulation and low AC ripple & noise
• Class leading single +12V rail, up to 43A (516W)
• Four PCI-E 6+2 pin connectors
• Protections: OCP, OVP, OPP, OTP, UVP, and SCP
• Universal AC input and Active PFC
• MSRP $149.99 USD