Subject: General Tech | December 3, 2012 - 01:40 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: amd, radeon, radeon 8xxx
The next Sea Islands GPU should arrive in the beginning of the year as AMD struggles to bring in enough revenue to remain competitive. We don't know the exact specs, though there were some leaked a while ago that you can speculate from, nor is it clear if AMD will lead the new series with the high end or midrange so you don't have to hold off on asking for that new GPU for Christmas. Of course this means that NVIDIA will be immediately be countering this move and you can expect to see new Kepler based cards around the same time. Pricing will likely be an interesting battleground, as AMD's last cards came out at a price which in hindsight was too high so we will have to wait to see if NVIDIA will attempt to undercut AMD's pricing again. AMD did not refute the news that DigiTimes posted, so you can be pretty sure they are on the mark with the date.
"AMD reportedly plans to release its Radeon HD 8000 series GPUs in the second quarter of 2013 as the company is currently going through a business reorganization to aid its poor performance in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
AMD originally planned to release the GPU series at the end of the fourth quarter to compete against Nvidia's products."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- The TR Podcast 124: Vector victor, NUC, Fluke
- "Self-Healing" NAND Flash Memory That Can Survive Over 100 Million Cycles @ Slashdot
- Google's Drive + Gmail: A 10GB Dropbox killer @ The Register
- AMD’s Thomas Seifert tips up in a CFO position @ SemiAccurate
- Microsoft will update its Windows OS every year @ The Inquirer
- Researcher Discloses New Batch of MySQL Vulnerabilities @ Slashdot
- Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC100 - Impressions after One Day @ Tweaktown
- Enable CONTACTS and Active Sync for your Gmail account on your iPhone @ Funky Kit
- 8 Tips to Save Printer Ink @ TechReviewSource
- KitGuru visits Multiplay i47
- Legit Reviews Celebrates 10 Years w/ 10 SSD Giveaway
- Win one of three Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II VGA Coolers @ eTeknix
- NikKTech and Silicon Power Global Joint Giveaway