Subject: Editorial | May 13, 2011 - 06:06 PM | John Davis
Tagged: pc-bsd, open source, freebsd, bsd
In an effort to embrace the open-source community and to bring to light some of the latest up and coming projects and their advances, PC Perspective has attempted to reach out. We have contacted some of the hottest and most interesting Open-Source projects out there with the intentions of trying to find out more. This week we selected PC-BSD and their Lead Developer and Founder Kris Moore.
(Image courtesy of PC-BSD)
PC-BSD is a FreeBSD based Unix-like distribution that has been made very easy to install with lots of software pre-installed like Flash and an easy to install package called, pbi's. PBI's can be installed just like a Microsoft Windows EXE files, by using a click to install.
The PC-BSD is self described as:
PC-BSD is a complete desktop operating system, which has been designed with the "casual" computer user in mind. It offers the stability and security that only a BSD-based operating system can bring, while at the same time providing a comfortable user experience, allowing you to get the most out of your computing time. With PC-BSD you can spend less time working to fix viruses or spyware and instead have the computer work for you.
Installing the system is simply a matter of a few clicks and a few minutes for the installation process to finish. Hardware such as video, sound, network and other devices will be auto-detected and available at the first system start-up. Home users will immediately feel comfortable with PC-BSD's desktop interface, with KDE 4.x running under the hood. Software installation has also been designed to be as painless as possible, simply double-click and software will be installed.
PC-BSD also lists the features as the following:
- Fully functional desktop operating system, running FreeBSD 8.x® under the hood.
- Optional 3D desktop effects and acceleration
- Graphical system installer, makes the system installation process effortless.
- Support for many native languages.
- Stability & Performance that only UNIX offers.
- Safe from Viruses and Spy-ware that plague other systems.
- Self-Installing software packages, makes loading programs a snap!
- Graphical tools for system administration and support.
- Professional E-mail and Phone Support from iXsystems available.
- Friendly and helpful support community.
- Online Update Manager - Downloads and installs updates for your operating system, without touching your installed programs.
(Image courtesy of Distrowatch)
I have personally used PC-BSD for a little over a year now and can say that the operating system is very stable, with a few minor hiccups along the way that is not unlike any other distribution. The community is very gracious and courteous and any questions that you may have can either be answered by the forums, via the handbook, or by their IRC (Internet Relay Chat)[#pcbsd].
Now that you have a brief idea of what PC-BSD is lets get into our interview:
(Hit that Read More link for the details!!)