Subject: General Tech | January 3, 2012 - 06:58 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: Intel, server, cpu, Romley, Ivy Bridge-H2, xeon e3, xeon e5
The server room will be getting an update over the next year thanks to Intel releasing numerous CPU models based on different architectures. First up comes Romley with a total of seven 8-core Xeons, a half dozen 6-core Xeons including both the E5-1660 and 1650 as well as the E5-2640 and relatives, five 4-core Xeons and a single dual core CPU. That will take us until close to summer. By then Intel will be working on eleven different Ivy Bridge-H2 series CPUs including the Xeon E3-1290v2 as well as seven more higher end processors including Xeon E5-2470, which will take us towards the end of 2012.
In addition to the regular lineup, DigiTimes also lists four low power Xeons which will arrive in 2012 including the 8-core Xeon E5-2650L.
"Intel is set to launch 40 new processors including those for its upcoming Romley platform, in the first half of 2012 with the company to release 20 models each quarter, according to sources from server players."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- UMC develops 0.11 micron aluminum process @ SemiAccurate
- Neural networks control a toy car @ Hack a Day
- Asustek to reduce motherboard production volume for 1Q12 @ DigiTimes
- Netgear Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit Review @ TechReviewSource
- SteelSeries DESMO Gaming Eyewear Review @ Techgage