Subject: General Tech | February 20, 2012 - 11:15 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: DIY, model m, input, frank zappa, blue alps sliders
Sometimes hacks and mods are done to save you time and money or possibly both but other times you find yourself stuck in the position of Frak Zappa and cannot find a giraffe filled with whipped cream and have to make it yourself. Such is the case with this completely made custom keyboard described at Hack a Day, in which every part was either custom ordered or made by the designer themselves. None of the keys seem to be in their accustomed places and your thumbs will get a workout from all of those keys mounted in the centre of the board but for a programmer this could be the perfect design. It has taken over a year to build and likely cost more than a mass produced designed keyboard but if you want something done right ...
"[dmw] posted a pseudo-build log over at the geekhack keyboard forums. Every single part of this keyboard is custom-made. The key caps were made by Signature Plastics, the case was made by Shapeways, and the custom PCB for the key switches came directly from Express PCB. The key switches are blue Alps sliders (one of the best key switches available) with a few white Alps switches taken from an old Apple keyboard."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Roccat ISKU Gaming Keyboard Review @ Hi Tech Legion
- Corsair Vengeance M90 @ XSReviews
- Enermax Briskie Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle @ Kitguru
- Corsair's Vengeance K60 and K90 Keyboards @ AnandTech
- Corsair vengeance K60 @ Guru3D
- Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review @ Madshrimps
- SteelSeries SRW-S1 @ OC3D
- Steelseries Simraceway SRW-S1 Controller Review @ XtremeComputing
- Corsair Vengeance M90 MMO Gaming Mouse @ Kitguru
- ROCCAT Kone[+] Laser Gaming Mouse @ techPowerUp
- HP Wi-Fi Touch Mouse X7000 Review @ TechReviewSource
- Cyborg R.A.T.7 Albino Edition Gaming Mouse Review @ eTeknix
- Steelseries Kinzu V2 Pro Edition Gaming Mouse @ Funky Kit
Get notified when we go live!