Subject: General Tech | January 3, 2013 - 11:53 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: frame latency
One of the newest tests of GPU performance on the web has come from The Tech Report, who are now incorporating frame latency into their benchmarks. Explained in more detail here, they essentially time the number of milliseconds a frame is displayed on screen with the key metric being the number of frames which last beyond 50ms which is enough to cause the feeling of lag for most users as a steady 50ms rate would translate to 20 frames per second which is well below most peoples performance threshold. Not only has that metric gained respect from the Review Community, it seems that AMD has taken an interest in the results and is now working on improving their software to lower frame latency. Hopefully we shall see changes to the way GCN is programmed in the near future which will lower frame latency and provide smoother graphics performance. Read on here.
Also keep your eyes peeled for the arrival of Ryan's colourful take on measuring frame latency, which podcast viewers had a sneak peek at this week.
"We recently found that the GeForce GTX 660 Ti generally outperforms the Radeon HD 7950 in our latency-focused tests in many of the latest games, despite the fact that the Radeon is based on decidedly beefier hardware. We concluded that AMD has work to do in optimizing its drivers for the latest games.
Now comes confirmation from AMD that software is to blame for some of the latency issues, along with word of planned fixes, including a rewrite of the GCN memory management software."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- All Ruby On Rails Versions Suffer SQL Injection Flaw @ Slashdot
- 30 years ago, at flip of a switch, the internet as we know it WAS BORN @ The Register
- An absurdly clever thermal imaging camera @ Hack a Day
- Netgear XAVB5201 500Mbps Powerline Adaptor @ eTeknix
- ASUS RT-N56U Dual-band Wireless-N Gigabit Router Review @ Hi Tech Legion
- AMD names Devinder Kumar chief financial officer @ DigiTimes
- Android Programming for Beginners: Part 2 @ Linux.com
Get notified when we go live!