Subject: General Tech | August 16, 2013 - 11:09 AM | Jeremy Hellstrom
The Tech Report posted thoughts today about the way they would change the desktop computer, if they had their chance. Instead of a large box full of air they would like to see the standard motherboard size reduced to mATX with a single power connector running from the PSU to the the board with any required power connectors being present on the board, not just the system fan connectors. They would also like to see the final death of optical drives and the 5.25" bay, something that many have asked for over the past few years. One thing they propose that anyone would agree with is standardized case header plugs, trying to attach the system speaker without accidentally unplugging an LED or the reset button is not fun. Check out all their suggestions and see if you agree with their new proposed standards.
"Many of our desktop PCs are filled with empty space, including unoccupied expansion slots and drive bays. With a few form factor adjustments and a handful of simple design tweaks, we could make the average enthusiast desktop more compact, easier to build, and more straightforward to use."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- iOS 7 nears release as beta 6 arrives on developers' iPhones and iPads @ The Inquirer
- Google issues a patch for Android Bitcoin wallet app bug @ The Inquirer
- Dragon Naturallyspeaking 12 Premium @ The Inquirer
- Area 51 No Longer (Officially) a Secret @ Slashdot
- GitHub code repository rocked by 'very large DDoS' attack @ The Register
- Tenda W150M Portable Wireless Access Point & Router @ eTeknix
- Microsoft to fund Blake's 7 return as Xbox Live exclusive @ The Register
- Shooting Target Impact Signal System Bullet Hit Sensor @ Bechmark Reviews
Get notified when we go live!