Introduction and Features
EVGA has just announced the arrival of two new GS power supplies in their popular SuperNOVA line, the 550GS and 650GS. Both power supplies are 80 Plus Gold certified and feature all modular cables, high-quality Japanese brand capacitors, and a super quiet 120mm cooling fan (with the ability to operate in silent, fan-less mode at low power levels). The 550GS and 650GS are housed in a compact chassis (150mm deep) and are backed by a 5-year warranty. These new GS units are manufactured by Seasonic and will start selling for $89.99 (550GS) and $99.99 (650GS) this spring.
EVGA was founded in 1999 with headquarters in Brea, California. They continue to specialize in producing NVIDIA based graphics adapters and Intel based motherboards and keep expanding their PC power supply product line, which currently includes twenty-two models ranging from the high-end 1,600W SuperNOVA T2 to the budget minded EVGA 400W power supply.
In this review we will be taking a detailed look at both the EVGA SuperNOVA 550GS and 650GS power supplies. It’s nice when we receive two slightly different units in the same product series to look for consistency during testing.
Here is what EVGA has to say about the new SuperNOVA GS Gold PSUs: “The EVGA GS power supply lineup has arrived. These power supplies offer superior performance, at extremely low noise levels making these the perfect power supplies for a low noise environment. These power supplies also feature ECO mode meaning that the fan will run only when necessary, further reducing noise level and power consumption.
The EVGA SuperNOVA 550GS/650GS power supply raises the bar with 550W/650W of continuous power delivery and 90% (115VAC) / 92% (220VAC-240VAC) efficiency. A fully modular design with compact dimensions reduces case clutter and 100% Japanese capacitors ensures that only the absolute best components are used. This gives you the best stability, reliability, overclockability and unparalleled control. The EVGA SuperNOVA 550GS/650GS is the ultimate tool to eliminate all system bottlenecks and achieve unrivaled performance."
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS and 650 GS Gold PSU Key Features:
• Fully modular cables to reduce clutter and improve airflow
• 80PLUS Gold certified, with up to 90% (115VAC) / 92% (240VAC) efficiency
• Tight voltage regulation (2%), stable power with low AC ripple and noise
• Highest quality Japanese brand capacitors ensure long-term reliability
• Quiet 120mm Teflon Nano-Steel bearing cooling fan
• ECO Intelligent Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low power
• NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
• Compliance with ErP Lot 6 2013 Requirement
• Active Power Factor correction (0.99) with Universal AC input
• Complete Protections: OVP, UVP, OPP, and SCP
• Compact chassis only 150mm (5.9”) deep
• 5-Year warranty
Subject: Cases and Cooling | September 9, 2014 - 04:09 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: modular psu, Antec EDGE, antec, 80Plus Gold, 750w
The Antec EDGE 750W PSU can provide up to 62A on its four 12V rails and with six 6+2 PCIe power connectors it is perfect for a system with multiple mid to high end GPUs. When [H]ard|OCP cracked it open they saw a high quality Seasonic design similar to the XFX XTR 750W and a decent quality 135mm fan. Once hooked up in the torture chamber the PSU passed every test they threw at it but in the end this PSU was awarded with a Silver Award as it did not vast outclass other 750W PSUs available for significantly less money. It is a very good choice and if you see it on sale you should consider it a serious contender for your hard earned cash.
"Antec is easily a go-to brand for many computer hardware enthusiasts and Antec has not been resting on its reputation. Today is the debut of the Antec EDGE 750W. This PSU boasts full modularity, up to 92% efficiency, high quality Japanese capacitors, "Flat Stealth Wires," all riding on two "High Current Rails.""
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Silverstone SX600-G: SFX 80+ Gold PSU @ SPCR
- SilverStone SFX SX600-G 600W PSU @ [H]ard|OCP
- Antec High Current Pro Platinum 850W Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- XFX PRO 650W XXX Edition Semi-Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600 W @ techPowerUp
- Super Flower Golden Silent 500W Semi-Modular Passive Power Supply @ eTeknix
- be quiet! Power Zone 1000W Modular Power Supply @ eTeknix
- Cooler Master V750 Semi Modular PSU @ Kitguru
- Corsair RM Series 1000 W @ techPowerUp
- LEPA G1600 MA EU 1600W @ Kitguru
Introduction and Features
Cooler Master continues to offer a full line of cases, power supplies, and coolers along with numerous other accessories for PC enthusiasts. Today we will be taking a detailed look at Cooler Master’s new V Series 850W power supply.
(Courtesy of Cooler Master)
It has been quite some time since we last reviewed a Cooler Master power supply and we were happy to see one show up recently on the test lab doorstep. We were even happier to learn that the new Cooler Master V Series, which includes three units: the V700, B850 and V1000, are all built by Seasonic, who has a stellar reputation for building some of the best PC power supplies on the planet. All three power supplies in the V Series incorporate all modular cabling, high efficiency (80Plus Gold certified), high quality Japanese made capacitors, a silent 135mm fan with a Fluid Dynamic Bearing, and they come backed by Cooler Master’s 5-year warranty. In addition, the V Series power supplies deliver excellent voltage regulation (particularly on the +12V output) with minimal AC ripple and noise. The Cooler Master V850 power supply is currently selling for $169.99 (newegg.com, March 2014).
Here is what Cooler Master has to say about their new V Series PSUs:
“Developed to be the highest quality, Cooler Master carefully sourced every aspect of the V Series PSU line to produce a high-efficiency and stable power supply. It’s highly efficient even at low loads, extremely stable, and works well beyond the parameters of 80Plus specifications.”
Cooler Master V Series 850W PSU Key Features:
• Fully modular cable design
• Single 850W +12V output that delivers up to 70A (840W)
• 80Plus Gold Certified: up to 93% efficient @ 50% load)
• Silent 135mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) fan for low noise and longer life
• Six PCI-E 6+2 pin connectors to support high-end GPUs
• 100% high-quality Japanese capacitors ensure performance and reliability
• Reliable 5-Year warranty