Subject: General Tech | August 16, 2012 - 03:39 PM | Ken Addison
Tagged: powertune, podcast, Intel, HD7950, gtx 670, amd, 7950, 670, 660ti
PC Perspective Podcast #214 - 08/16/2012
Join us this week as we talk about two GTX 670 Cards, AMD's HD 7950 with Boost, Microsoft Surface rumors and more!
The URL for the podcast is: http://pcper.com/podcast - Share with your friends!
- iTunes - Subscribe to the podcast directly through the Store
- RSS - Subscribe through your regular RSS reader
- MP3 - Direct download link to the MP3 file
Hosts: Ryan Shrout, Jeremy Hellstrom, Josh Walrath and Allyn Malventanto
Program length: 1:06:12
Podcast topics of discussion:
- Week in Reviews:
- 0:29:34 This Podcast is brought to you by MSI!
News items of interest:
- 0:32:30 MS Surface to be $200??
- 0:37:30 Corsair Acquires Raptor Gaming
- 0:39:30 NVIDIA Fiscal reports
- 0:44:00 Random videos:
- 0:47:50 GTX 660 Ti shows up for sale at CompUSA
- 0:49:00 Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Core SoC. ARM Cortex A15 CPU and ARM Mali T604 GPU
- 0:51:20 Intel RST Windows 8 compatibility
0:53:20 Hardware / Software Pick of the Week
- Ryan: Diamond VStream Wirless USB to HDMI
- Jeremy: Wireless power for the price of a penny
- Josh: 512 GB SSD for cheeeeeap. Or sorta cheap.
- Allyn: iPazzPort 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Fly Air Mouse Keyboard with IR Remote
- Tim: Skydrive UI rehaul
- Scott: FEDEX tracking info sucks...
- 0:53:20 Hardware / Software Pick of the Week
- 1-888-38-PCPER or email@example.com
- http://twitter.com/ryanshrout and http://twitter.com/pcper and http://twitter.com/joshdwalrath
- Quakecon coverage at pcper.com/workshop. Hope to see you there!
Spicing up the GTX 670
The Power Edition graphics card series from MSI is a relatively new addition to its lineup. The Power Edition often mimics that of the higher-end Lightning series, but at a far lower price (and perhaps a smaller feature set). This allows MSI to split the difference between the reference class boards and the high end Lightning GPUs.
Doing this allows users a greater variety of products to choose from, and to better tailor users' purchases by their needs and financial means. Not everyone wants to pay $600 for a GTX 680 Lightning, but what if someone was able to get similar cooling, quality, and overclocking potential for a much lower price? This is what MSI has done with one of its latest Power Edition cards.
The GTX 670 Power Edition
The NVIDIA GTX 670 cards have received accolades throughout the review press. It is a great combination of performance, power consumption, heat production, and price. It certainly caused AMD a great amount of alarm, and it hurriedly cut prices on the HD 7900 series of cards in response. The GTX 670 is a slightly cut-down version of the full GTX 680, and it runs very close to the clock speed of its bigger brother. In fact, other than texture and stream unit count, the cards are nearly identical.
Get notified when we go live!