Subject: Storage | October 4, 2013 - 02:12 PM | Jeremy Hellstrom
Tagged: hybrid hdd, cache, Seagate, 2TB
Benchmarking cached HDDs can be a difficult task as they are specifically designed to cache commonly used data which results in two very different speeds for data access, the 8GB SSD and the actual HDD. The Tech Report recently met this challenge when benchmarking Seagate's first 3.5" desktop cached drive with 8GB of flash and 2TB of platter storage. When contrasting it to some of the higher end HDDs available it became apparent that the more expensive WD Black 4TB was a faster drive but as it does cost more per gigabyte it might not be the best choice for every purpose. Check out the review to see if this hybrid device is a better choice than buying both a small sized SSD and a large HDD for your own usage.
"Seagate's hybrid tech has finally been deployed in a desktop drive. The Desktop SSHD combines an 8GB flash cache with 2TB of mechanical storage. We take a closer look at how that combo holds up against standard hard drives and SSDs."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- WD's Red 4TB @ The Tech Report
- HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB SATA III HDD @ NikKTech
- Vantec NexStar HDD Duplicator Review @ Legit Reviews
- Do-It-Yourself Cloud Storage: WD My Cloud 2TB Review @ Techgage
- Seagate Business Storage 1-Bay 3TB NAS @ NikKTech
- RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-WRP201SD 4 In 1 WLAN Storage Station @ NikKTech
- Teratrend SST-TS431U 4-bay USB 3.0 Storage Tower @ Kitguru
- ASUSTOR AS-304T 4-bay NAS Server for Home Office Review @ Madshrimps
- Asustor AS-304T @ Legion Hardware
- Adaptec (by PMC) ASR-8885 12Gb/s PCIe RAID Adapter @ SSD Review
- ADATA XPG SX300 256GB mSATA SSD @ eTeknix
- Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe SSD @ SSD Review
- OCZ Vertex 450 256 GB SSD @ techPowerUp
- Corsair Force LS Series 240GB SSD Review @ Legit Reviews
- Sandisk Extreme II 240GB @ eTeknix
- Corsair Force Series LS 240GB SSD @ SSD Review
- Corsair Force LS 240GB @ Hardware.info
Get notified when we go live!